Saturday, August 20, 2011

R_ Motors and the 1967 Camaro Restomod Renovation

HRB bought a 67 Camaro show car from Florida that had been Restored a couple years prior and shown at local shows in the state. After receiving the car and driving it just a handful of miles it was apparent that it could use some upgrades. Research was done, people were spoken to, and the decision was made to send it to BOSA. A contract agreement was made including the specific items to change and the estimated cost projections both low and high. The car was sent in the Spring of 2010. The time estimate given was 3 to 4 months. The owner decided to sublet out the work to another shop he had dealings with that he said was very reputable or he would not have sent the car to them. The contract items to be taken care of were:
Grigio Avalon Paint Exterior
Satin Rally Stripes
Wet Sand
Polish
Prep Paint
Materials. Labor 270hrs

Custom Paint Engine Bay
Custom Paint Engine
Air Cleaner
Detail Engine Bay
Re-route hoses and wire configurations
New brake lines
New Exhaust System
New components. Labor 60 hrs

Touch screen unit in dash
Viper front seats
Power door locks
Power windows
Console with cupholders
New seat belts
Restyle dashboard
Carpet
Paint dash trim, restyle interior
Labor 62,5 hrs

Repair headlights
Eliminate floor speakers
Re-plumb fuel system
Install E-Brake. Labor 37.5 hrs
Total Labor: 430 hrs

This contract was accepted and altered within limits by shop sublet to do the work.
Alterations included:
Shaved door handles
Alarm
Ghost stripe instead of rally
Black out chrome
Paint wheels

The car was fully funded in July of 2010 with 3k added expense from original contract.
In September of 2010 the car was taken away from the sublet builder and taken to BOSA in Ohio.I only found out about the car being moved from stumbling on a news article in the local newspaper when searching for BOSA news on a new computer with a different search engine than previously used. Noone contacted me about moving my car, apparently the company owner Joe was moving his business to a new state down South. I emailed the owner and he assured me everything was fine and the car would be complete by the end of the month.September 2010. In August of 2011 the car was still not finished and I was notified it would be moved to North Carolina to have exhaust finished and final pictures taken in a photo shoot. I thought about how the time the car was moved before and how I was told it would be completed by the end of that month and how it was now 11months later and I still had no car and decided to go get the car. I emailed all the parties involved stating I had secured a driver and would be there to pick the car up on Monday, August 14. I emailed them on the 13th of August after receiving word of the move on August 11,2011. The response from Joe the owner of the business was you can pick up the car completed in North Carolina the next Saturday after the photo shoot. I replied I had secured a driver and would get it from Ohio on Monday The 14th, I would complete it at home. There was no response to that email. Therefore, That's exactly what I did, to the surprise of the employees at the shop. I was helped to gather parts from the old car and fix a couple noticeable flaws seen while the car was on the lift. After the dust was blown off, We pushed the car out and had to winch it on to the trailor since the steering was connected improperly. The shop was instructed not to release my car, my property, without the signing of a release. The first of which was extremely lengthy which I did not sign and told them it was absurd and I just wanted my car that was paid for some 13 months prior. I then had to speak with Frank from the main office and tell him it was absurd and to revise it to came to pick up his car period. I had to sign off that they completed the car and any prior contracts were void and any leGal issues would be heard in North Carolina court. I wasn't asking for money back, just my car! I had had enough of the excuses, lies about completion dates and how they were upside down on the build and had money out of pocket in the project. I just wanted my car back after 16 months of patiently waiting and hearing nothing about it unless I inquired or they needed money for invoices. The car is back home now and I will post how the finishing of the car is going

1 comment:

  1. Gee HR Bob sounds like you had a raw deal there. Sounds like the R _ Motors is a place we really need to avoid. Glad you have possesion of your Camaro and can continue the resto. Can't wait to see finished project. Be sure and post pics.

    ReplyDelete